Why is Spelling Valued at The Priors?
Spelling is a key part of becoming a successful writer. We at The Priors value the Teaching and Learning of spelling since it…
• helps children to write more fluently, dedicating more of their energies towards creative writing (rather than the mechanical process of spelling)
• gives our learners strategies to attempt to encounter unfamiliar words, enriching their vocabulary
• gives children opportunity to investigate and understand the true meaning of words
• develops confident writers
• develops confident readers
• supports children with dyslexic tendencies
Please find the spelling lists for the different year groups, as laid out by the National Curriculum, and some advice and hints for parents to help with spelling, punctuation and grammar in general. If you need any more information, please do contact the school.